goldenstate selvage

Japanese Shuttle Loom Selvage
I have always been obsessed with shuttle loom selvage denim.  I first became familiar with it while scouring the Pasadena Rose Bowl swap meet back in 1993.  While shopping for cool vintage pieces for BC Ethic, I noticed a big demand from Japanese buyers for vintage Levi's red lines with both small "e" and big "E" tab labels.  In 1994, I went to Tokyo and Osaka and visited many vintage Levi's stores selling both vintage and replications.   Agave has offered selvage since 2005 but separated it out as the sub-brand Agave Goldenstate in 2008.  Our selvages included a hemp blend, a classic indigo and a railroad stripe.  All variants were shipped inside-out with a fun screen print on the inside leg.  Many of our retail collectors have these jeans on display in their stores today.  In 2008, another company in LA started using the name Goldenstate and I decided not to protect the mark.  Instead I chose Agave Gold Collection and it is a big part of Agave today.

Comments